Law Firm Marketing
At On the Map, we understand that capitalizing on Google and mobile searches is a unique struggle for lawyers. Your digital marketing plight is different from the struggle other industries go through. It requires a specialized set of skills and knowledge due to the strict rules of ethics you have sworn to abide by throughout your career.
Ultimately, your digital marketing shouldn’t wake you up at 3 am. We’re sure your cases are stressful enough already, and being penalized for violating rule 7.1 of the Bar Association isn’t something you need to be worrying about. At the same time, you want to reap all the wonderful benefits digital marketing has to offer (i.e., $$$$). Our company is consumed by helping your law firm rank without taking dangerous risks.
This article is intended to educate you on how online marketing works and what tactics we use to make your online presence generate qualified leads that were acquired ethically and sustainably.
Why Is Effective Law Firm Marketing Important?
The idea of law firm marketing may seem skeptical at first, as the idea of online advertising is not often associated with the legal field. However, times have changed, and nowadays, you have to make your presence as known as possible to maximize your returns. Doing so includes having a solid digital presence and promoting your law firm to help you capture a wide range of consumers and grow your client base continuously.
Running a law firm is no different from running any form of business. While expertise in the subject matter is certainly important to service your clients well, building a credible image, and widening your reach is equally important to attract new customers. Today, having an online presence is crucial. Prospective clients now turn to the Internet to find an attorney, so you want to make sure you can be found when they make a Google search.
We understand that the thought of having to come up with law firm marketing strategies, on top of doing your day-to-day work, can be daunting and intimidating. As such, we are here to help you get acquainted with the legal market and learn about all the ins and outs of marketing your firm. A successful and well-crafted marketing plan can truly take your law firm to places, so we want to help you make the right choices to achieve that.
How Has Marketing Evolved?
We are living in the digital age, where technology is constantly evolving and innovating, and things that were once thought impossible have become possible. The opportunities for online legal marketing have multiplied exponentially over the years, with several new digital marketing strategies that you can capitalize on.
The rise of digital marketing has truly changed the game. Regardless of whether you run a small or big law firm, you now have the chance to put your name out there. The concept of small law firm marketing was more challenging in the past since it was not easy competing with large and well-established firms in the industry. However, with online and digital marketing, you now have resources and tools that can help you build your name and stand out from the crowd.
You may be wondering: How exactly has marketing evolved through time? For one, the very introduction of digital marketing has transformed the concept of advertising. Back then, marketing was limited to traditional means, such as newspaper or radio advertising, as well as direct marketing methods. Today, however, the true potential lies in the online space. Billions of users search the Internet daily, unlocking a world of opportunities for you to tap into.
Due to the evolution and advancement of the Internet, the idea of inbound marketing has now become a staple in every marketer’s strategy. Inbound marketing is essentially a way of capturing customers’ interest by creating valuable content and providing a seamless user experience. Strategies like search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, and content marketing will be particularly useful for law firm marketing.
Not familiar with these technical terms? Do not worry! At On the Map, we make sure to guide our clients each step of the way to understand how they can better market their law firm to the world.
Components of the Inbound Marketing Methodology
You may hear marketers throw around words like branding, SEO, content marketing, and similar things, and wonder how exactly these all fit into an overall law firm marketing plan. These methods are essentially forms of inbound marketing, which focuses more on making quality content to capture your customers’ attention. You may be more familiar with traditional methods, also known as outbound marketing, so here is the gist of how inbound marketing works.
The inbound marketing framework consists of four stages, each of which can bring you closer to maximizing returns and getting more clients. Get to know how each of these works to understand better how you can plan out your law firm marketing plan.
- Attract – First, you have to hook your audience to spark their interest and get them to learn more about your law firm. This stage aims to create content that matches your target audience’s needs so that your content will provide them with the information they need at the right place and time. SEO and social media marketing are particularly effective for achieving this goal.
- Convert – Once you grab the attention of your intended audience, your next objective is lead generation. You want your site visitors to give you their contact information, so you can continue to reach them and share valuable content about your firm. Most of the time, lead generation in legal marketing is done through landing pages and calls-to-action (CTAs), which prompt users to perform a specific action to stay updated with your firm’s blog, newsletter, or the like.
- Close – In the convert stage, your goal was to turn site visitors into leads. Now, in the close stage, your goal is to turn these leads into paying clients. Techniques like lead nurturing and marketing automation are often used to close a deal or transaction. In this stage, timing is key as you want to make sure to reach out to your leads at the right time, or you may hurt your chances of getting another paying customer.
- Delight – The beauty in law firm marketing is that it is a dynamic process, so it does not end after generating new leads and capturing new customers’ attention. To reap the most benefits of your marketing plan, you have to continue engaging with your user base.
Satisfied clients can be one of your top promoters as their word holds much weight when recommending your services to other people who may be looking for an attorney. Likewise, keeping your customers interested can boost loyalty and convince them to be repeat clients if the need arises in the future.
Law Firm Marketing Trends in 2017
We are in an exciting and ever-changing time for digital marketing. There is incredible potential for generating huge profits through online sources if it’s done right and put in the hands of the right company (On the Map, for instance). We have proven online marketing formulas for law firms.
At the end of the day, a healthy online marketing strategy is pretty much non-negotiable in this day and age (even for the very best attorney). In fact, 70% of law firms have generated cases through their websites. Traditional forms of marketing may have worked once, but with the rise of digital marketing, they are rapidly becoming obsolete. We compiled data across an array of different marketing mediums to see how they compare to each other. Spoiler alert: digital mediums of marketing took the cake by a landslide.
With effective digital marketing, law firms should typically expect an ROI between $10-$20 gross for every dollar spent. That means if you’re spending $10,000 a year on marketing, you should see a return of $100,000. Of course, some marketing efforts are more effective than others, and the real key to an effective campaign is balancing multiple marketing channels. If you’re building a marketing campaign from the ground up, the bottom line is it should take you 2-3 months for your bottom line to blow up.
Creating a Marketing Plan for a Law Firm
- Set Objectives – Before you can get started with any form of law firm marketing, the first thing to do is to set objectives. Ask yourself: What do you want to achieve with your law firm? Where do you see your law firm within a specific time frame? In any business practice, it is helpful to remember that you have to make your objectives SMART, which stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.
Naturally, you have to make sure your goals are feasible and set a time for you to achieve them. By understanding what you want to get from your marketing initiatives, we can better craft a suitable strategy for your law firm.
- Know Your Target Audience – Once you have set the objectives for your law firm, the next thing to do would be to determine who you want to target. Central to any successful marketing strategy is your target audience’s knowledge since this guides you in making your law firm marketing plan.
If you know the specific individuals and groups of people you want to reach, you can tailor your marketing messages to suit this audience. If you are a new and small law firm, we can help you determine your target audience’s profile to ensure that you can reach the right people and consequently generate the right leads.
As you grow your client base over time, you must remember to keep your past clients as part of your target audience. Tapping into satisfied clients gives you the chance to reach close members, such as family or friends, by staying in close communication with them.
- Build Your Message – After setting objectives and determining who your audience is, you can now craft and build your main message. This step will be one of the most important since it serves as your chance to communicate your law firm’s unique point. Creating a unique selling proposition (USP) is important to send your key message and differentiate your firm from all others.
As a law firm marketing agency, we can help you come up with the right message to send to your intended audience. We know that getting your message is crucial to develop a positive brand image for prospective clients, so we consider various aspects of your law firm and practice that we can look into.
When crafting your message, we want to communicate the value that you can give to customers as an attorney. Whenever possible, use testimonials and case studies to illustrate your success in the field. People often want to hear about what your past clients have to say about their experience while working with you and know how you solved specific legal issues.
- Measure Results – A law firm marketing strategy works the same as any other marketing strategy in a different business. As such, you do not stop after implementation. You must continue to monitor and measure your results to see if your efforts effectively reach your goals. Look for key performance indicators (KPIs) for legal marketing, including client growth rates, fees from new clients, number of cases closed, and the like.
We understand that doing all these steps can feel overwhelming, which is why our law firm marketing services aim to make the process easier by guiding you. We can help tell the world your story and make sure that your advertising efforts and expenses are all tailored to match your objectives.
Top Law Firm Marketing Practices
If you are not sure about what you want to include in your marketing plan, you can check out some of these top law firm marketing ideas to inspire you to go about your strategy.
- Build a Brand – Perhaps one of the biggest challenges you may face in marketing your firm would be determining what direction to take. With so many possible platforms and methods to use, you may be unsure about where to begin. In any legal marketing strategy, a good starting point would be to build your brand. What brand experience do you want to convey to people? How do you want others to perceive your law firm
Branding has to do with the kind of image that you want to develop for your customers. The goal is for you to stand out from all other law firms and communicate the value you offer to your clients. Highlight your strengths, credibility, and expertise in the field to attract clients and build customer loyalty.
When building your brand, your goals would be to create that sense of recognition with your law firm, as well as a positive reputation associated with it.
- Illustrate Your Expertise – When it comes to online marketing for law firms, you want to demonstrate your capabilities and expertise. When clients search for attorneys to represent them, they naturally want to hire a professional who has adequate experience and skill to take on their case.
To show the extent of your capabilities, you can highlight your firm’s practice areas and skills. Do you have lawyers from a range of areas, or are you more focused on a particular area? Providing a list of the attorneys and their respective contact information and specialties can also help clients assess your reputation.
- Utilize Social Media Marketing – The thought of social media marketing may seem unusual for a law firm, but the truth is that this practice has become more and more common over the years. Facebook and LinkedIn are two of the most popular platforms used for law firm marketing since the Facebook community has over two billion users, while LinkedIn is suitable for professional networking and attracting business clients.
Creating a Facebook page will be beneficial, so users can learn more about your business at a quick glance. However, the real potential lies in targeted Facebook ads, which can generate huge returns for your firm. This opportunity is primarily attributed to Facebook’s massive global audience, which allows you to widen your scope of reach and find the right people.
- Improve Email Marketing Campaigns – Email marketing may seem like a thing of the past, especially with the rise of newer strategies like SEO. However, the reality is that email marketing is more important than ever as users still rely on emails to get various forms of correspondences. This strategy continues to be a quick, efficient, and cost-effective way to generate leads, but to maximize your returns and results, you have to devise effective campaigns.
If any of these law firm marketing practices have you interested, we can work hand-in-hand with you to implement them, along with many others that we find suitable for your firm.
Digital Marketing Platforms Guaranteed to Increase Revenue (Don’t Miss Out!)
There are four marketing platforms guaranteed to catapult your ROI and your brand visibility through digital marketing; they include:
- Website Development – Every aspect of website development should be designed with the same goal in mind: to make you money. We focus on two major key components while making your mockup:
- Conversion Focused Design – everything about your website will be formatted to lead site visitors to be converted.
- Branding – we revitalize your brand image, so you attract clients who want to be a part of what your law firm is, what you provide, and the quality of work you offer.
- SEO – The entire premise of Google’s business model is providing the best and most relevant content to its users, which is why so many people look to Google for answers to their questions. If your website offers relevant and insightful answers to the questions people are searching for, it will increase your visibility and help you connect with the people asking those questions. SEO, or search engine optimization, is the process of organically ranking your website or blog on search engines.
- Pay Per Click – PPC is the process of utilizing search engine advertising to generate website clicks. Advertisers pay for their PPC service only when their ad is clicked.
- Facebook Ads – A study on the effectiveness of digital marketing by Rutgers Business School found that a shocking amount of reputable companies undervalued the ROI of Facebook Ads. For example, Kantar WorldPanel, which manages the largest consumer panels on the market today, found that “Coke’s return on investment from Facebook advertising in France beat its ROI from TV. Every euro spent on Facebook returned 2.74 euros in additional Coke sales. That was 3.6 times better than the ROI attributed to TV ads.”
How to Implement a Law Firm Marketing Strategy Successfully?
Developing a legal marketing strategy is not necessarily different from building a marketing plan for any business. However, for your strategy to be successful, you have to make sure you capitalize on the aspects that matter most in your field. Read about these tips to help you make your marketing efforts a success.
- Build a Sales Pipeline – When running a law firm, it is important to keep a record of all your clients, whether past or current, to manage your customer relationships. A sales pipeline allows you to map out the customer journey for each of your clients to know what stage of the purchase process they are in.
Think about the inbound marketing methodology and the four core steps: attract, convert, close, and delight. Knowing which stage each of your clients is in this process can tailor your marketing initiatives to help them. Having a pipeline also allows you to see whether your current efforts are working or not, so you can improve upon them.
- Use Data – In today’s digital age, you may often hear terms like data mining and analytics, and how important they are for any business. In the context of a law firm, the same can be said. Tracking and measuring your results by looking at important metrics is key to having a successful law firm marketing strategy. Analytics provides you with valuable insights and data that help you understand your campaigns’ effectiveness, so you can improve your strategy and improve on areas that need work.
- Continuously Refine – The marketing process never truly ends because you have to refine your strategy to generate your desired results continuously. It is not something that you plan out and simply leave behind after implementation. No matter what type of law firm you run, the truth is that new competitors will always enter the industry, and more innovative marketing strategies will keep coming up.
As such, marketing is an ongoing effort and something that you have to monitor and refine whenever the need arises. By keeping this in mind, you can expect your firm and customer base to grow stably through time.
Indeed, part of running a law firm is being a good salesperson and knowing how to communicate your company to prospective clients. We can help you implement the law firm marketing ideas highlighted above to ensure that you stand out from the competition.
Why Your Law Firm Could Be Making More Money Using Digital Marketing
Digital marketing allows your law firm to interact and engage with an “infinite” audience. There are no barriers of distance that exist online, but more importantly, SEO helps drive clients to your page who don’t even know they are looking for you yet. A client seeking an attorney often doesn’t know they need an attorney, but they know they have a problem. So they begin searching for answers to their questions and potential solutions to their problem. For example, a potential client is statistically just as likely to search, “will a DUI affect my immigration status?” as “immigration attorney New York.” If you can answer a potential client’s questions with quality content on your law firm’s website and blog, you are setting yourself up to be found in search results, and when you give your potential client’s the information they need, that creates a bond of trust. They won’t want to hire anyone else but you.
With digital marketing, there is no guesswork in determining what is working and what isn’t. Google analytics answers a multitude of questions about your website, such as:
- What marketing tactics drive the most traffic to my website?
- What blog content do my visitors like the most?
- What websites send traffic to my website?
- How many people visit my website?
- Where did my converting visitors come from and go on my website?
- Which pages on my website are the most popular?
How Law Firm Marketing Can Skyrocket Your Growth and Potential
When you first decided to establish your law firm, your goal was most likely to practice law and service clients. However, the reality is that every business, no matter what industry it operates in, requires an effective marketing strategy to become successful. The situation is no different in the world of law firms. Competition is tight, and the market is quickly becoming saturated. The question then is, how can you stand out against all your competitors?
The ultimate answer is law firm marketing. Traditional marketing methods like word-of-mouth advertising may have been the standard in the legal world, but today, sticking to these methods is no longer enough. Just as the legal sector has evolved through time, so has the world of marketing.
It may not seem apparent at first, but creating an effective law firm marketing plan can skyrocket your firm’s growth. Thanks to the Internet, you now have the chance to reach a ton more users compared to how many you could have reached with traditional advertising. Likewise, people have become reliant on the Internet to search for products and services they need. If they are looking for an attorney, the first thing they will most likely do is make a quick Google search to find law firms within their location.
As you enter the world of law firm marketing, you unlock a world of opportunities that you may not have realized. We know that the road ahead may seem like a challenge, so we want to guide you through each step of the way to ensure you make the most out of the advantages of digital marketing.
Law Firm Marketing – The Bottom Line
There is huge potential in the value of digital marketing; however, you must approach this digital money-making machine with caution as a lawyer. You must be sure before hiring a company that they are capable of marketing your firm ethically. While Google’s algorithms have developed and changed dramatically over time, one factor has remained constant: Google wants high-quality content. The content you produce must be original, correct, and relevant.
At On the Map, relying on data is embedded in our way of thinking, which has come in very handy for the many law firms we have built a digital presence for. We use our data-driven way of thinking combined with our experience marketing for law firms to help businesses outrank their competition across. We believe in our content’s integrity and quality, and we hope you wouldn’t settle for anything less.
Why Choose Us?
At On the Map, we make it a point to ensure that every dollar you invest for our services translates to concrete results. Regardless of whether you have a big or small law firm, whether you are new or experienced in the field, we will work hard to achieve first page rankings in search results pages and design an optimized website fit for your clients’ needs.
Due to your line of work’s nature, we know that most of your time and effort may be invested in solving cases and meeting with clients. The very thought of running a law firm can already be overwhelming in itself, so finding time to build your brand and market your firm may seem out of reach. Thus, our goal is to help you maximize the benefits of digital marketing without spending an excessive amount of money with our law firm marketing services.
We understand that learning about SEO, email marketing, and other similar strategies can be daunting at first, so we want to help you by sharing our expertise and resources. Our team is committed to providing valuable and high-quality content for your firm to ensure that you can capture a large following and retain your clients. No matter what step you may need help in, we will make sure you cover all the important bases to build an effective marketing strategy for your law firm.